Montenegro is a beautiful country to visit year-round, but it has a special charm in the winter. The crowds are gone, the weather is mild, and the snow-capped mountains provide a stunning backdrop for your adventures.
Here are a few of the things you can do in Montenegro in winter:
- Go skiing or snowboarding in the Durmitor National Park. Durmitor is home to two ski resorts, Zabljak and Savin Kuk, which offer a variety of terrain for all skill levels. www.skiresort.info Savin Kuk ski resort, Montenegro
- Take a snowshoeing or cross-country skiing tour in the mountains. There are many tour operators that offer guided tours of the Durmitor National Park and other mountain ranges in Montenegro. meanderbug.com Crosscountry skiing in Montenegro
- Visit the Christmas markets in Kotor and Budva. The Christmas markets in Kotor and Budva are a great place to find unique gifts and souvenirs, and to try some of the local food and wine. www.myguidemontenegro.com Christmas market in Kotor, Montenegro
- Explore the Old Town of Kotor. Kotor is a UNESCO World Heritage Site with a well-preserved Old Town. The narrow streets and charming buildings are perfect for a winter wander. www.mywanderlust.pl Old Town of Kotor, Montenegro
- Visit the Lovćen National Park. Lovćen is home to the mausoleum of Njegoš, a revered Montenegrin poet and ruler. The park also offers stunning views of the surrounding mountains and coastline. www.tripadvisor.com.tr Lovćen National Park, Montenegro
- Take a boat trip to the Bay of Kotor. The Bay of Kotor is a UNESCO World Heritage Site and one of the most beautiful places in Montenegro. A boat trip is a great way to see the fjord-like bay and its picturesque villages. www.ontheluce.com Bay of Kotor, Montenegro
- Visit the coastal towns of Budva and Herceg Novi. Budva and Herceg Novi are two of the most popular tourist destinations in Montenegro. They have a variety of restaurants, bars, and shops, as well as well-preserved Old Towns. www.dailysabah.com Herceg Novi, Montenegro
No matter what you choose to do in Montenegro in the winter, you’re sure to have a wonderful time. The country has something to offer everyone, from outdoor enthusiasts to history buffs to foodies.